Labels

Friday, June 1, 2012

June SCS SU Design Crew Challenges!

It's June 1st and that can only mean that it's the beginning of this month's SCS Stampin' Up! Design Crew Challenge!  We have 4 very interesting challenges for you and here they are:

Holiday Focus - Manly Men!
Our challenge was to design a card based on a song by Brad Paisley (and I have to admit that I have never heard of him until now!) and my card is based from the line "when you see a lake you think picnics....."  I don't have any stamps with picnic baskets, but I do have stamps with trees and sail boat, and I created this card for my husband for Father's Day.

To create my card I first stamped the sail boat three times - once on a scrap piece of Whisper White cardstock, again on a 4"x5-1/4" piece of white cardstock and again on a post-it-note to create a mask.  I cut out just the sails from the stamped image on the post-it-note  and layered it over the sails on the card front.  I then stamped the trees from the set, Lovely as a Tree, over the masked sail boat.  The trees were colored in with Gumball Green and the grass area was added by using a sponge.

I used the 1-3/8" circle punch to create a mask for the sun.  I did this by punching the circle out at the top of a post-it-note.  I placed the post-it-note with the circle punched out by the trees and sponged in the circle using Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie and Tangerine Tango.  I then took off that post-it-note and placed the punched circle over the sun to cover it, and sponged the sky using Bashful Blue and Midnight Muse.

I cut out just the sails from the image I stamped on the scrap cardstock and watercolored in the edges using Midnight Muse and my trusted watercolor brush.  I watercolored in the waves by the boat with the same color and then sponged Midnight Muse around the boat.  I added the appearance of the sun's reflection by spongingDaffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie and Tangerine Tango over the blue.

I added some brads at the bottom, stamped Happy Father's Day on a scrap piece of cardstock and cut it out using the Modern Label Punch.  I used the CAD to set some Night of Navy eyelets and then tied some Early Espresso Baker's Twine through them.  I used the set, Teeny Tiny Wishes, for the saying.  I am so glad that I purchased this set - it has a ton of every day and holiday sayings and I find that I reach for it constantly!

I like how it turned out and I hope he does too!


Stamps: Lovely as a Tree, Sail Away, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Inks: Basic Black, Soft Suede, Daffodil Delight, Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Midnight Muse, Gumball Green, Bashful Blue
Papers: Whisper White, Midnight Muse
Accessories: Modern Label Punch, Vintage Brads, Early Espresso Baker's Twine, Night of Navy Eyelets, CAD, Watercolor Brush, Paper Piercing Tool, Sponge, Dimensionals, Post-it-Note, Scissors

Card #2 - Happy Anniversary DSP/Color Fucus
For this card challenge we needed to make a card using only White, Basic Gray and one new In-Color.  I went with Raspberry Ripple and like how it goes with the Basic Gray.  This is a card for my in-laws who are celebrating their 67th anniversary this coming Friday!

This was a pretty simple card to make - I started by stamping the leaves from the set, French Foliage, along the edges using Raspberry Ripple ink.  Next I stamped the background image and saying in Basic Gray; then I distressed the edges and added some gray along the edges as well.  I stamped "Happy Anniversary" using an old SU stamp, and cut it out using the Apothecary Accents Framelit.  Added a pewter brad and some Whisper White Organza Ribbon and there you have it!  Here's a list of what I used:


Stamps: French Foliage, Happy Anniversary (Retired SU Stamp)
Inks: Raspberry Ripple, Basic Gray, Whisper White
Papers: Whisper White, Raspberry Ripple, Basic Gray
Accessories: Big Shot, Apothecary Accents Framelit, Whisper White Organza Ribbon, Going Gray Brads, Paper Piercing Tool, Pewter Eyelet, CAD, Distressing Tool, Sponge, Dimensionals

Challenge #3 - Catalog Focus
This challenge was to use one "new item" in combination with an "old" item - my new items is the In-Color, Raspberry Ripple and my "old" item is the stamp set, Elements of Style.  This card is actually a case from the new catty (page 113) and I changed it up a bit.

I stamped the flower image using a the new Basic Black inkpad - which by the way, I love!!!  I watercolored in the flowers with Raspberry Ripple and leaves with Basic Gray (keeping with the white, gray, new in-color theme).  I then ripped the paper and layered it over the rectangular design frame.  Since I don't have any Raspberry Ripple ribbon yet, I dyed some scrap pieces of Whisper White Organza Ribbon to using a sponge and a Raspberry Ripple inkpad.  Here's a list of what I used:


Stamps: Elements of Style
Inks: Raspberry Ripple, Basic Gray, Basic Black
Papers: Whisper White, Raspberry Ripple, Basic Gray
Accessories: Big Shot, Vintage Wallpaper EF, Designer Frames Folders, Whisper White Organza Ribbon, Pearls, Sponge, Scissors, Dimensionals, Mini-Glue Dots

And last but not least, Challenge #4 - Scrapbook Focus
Did you know that June is national strawberry month?  So in honor of this important observation, our challenge was to make a scrapbook page that contained elements based on Classic Strawberry Shortcake.  Our pages needed to have: the colors Real Red, Crumb Cake and Very Vanilla, one group of three items (three layers, pictures, etc.), and something soft (a torn edge, ribbon, lace, etc.).  The groups of three that I used were: layers of Real Red, Crumb Cake and Very Vanilla, I layered 3 flowers together, 3 sayings together and 3 buttons together.

I found a picture that my mom had of my daughter, Chelsie, when she was 4 days old and built the page around the picture.  I have to admit that I struggle with scrapbooking, but did enjoy making this page.  Maybe I put too much pressure on myself that every page has to be a "wow" project with a lot of "zing and bling".


Stamps: Betsy's Blossoms, Warm Words
Inks: Real Red
Papers: Real Red, Very Vanilla, Crumb Cake, Real Red DSP, Summer Smooches DSP
Accessories: Big Shot, Top Note Die, Adorning Accents Edgelits, Apothecary Accents Framelits, Paper Doily Sizzlits, Boho Blossoms Punch, Blossom Punch, Modern Label Punch, Bird Builder Punch, Scallop Trim Border Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Real Red Buttons, Very Vanilla Buttons, Crumb Cake Buttons, Real Red Brads, Very Vanilla Brads, Crumb Cake Brads, White Baker's Twine, Dimensionals, Mini-Glue Dots

3 comments:

Carolee said...

I am so glad that Katt at the Corner sent me over here. What a wonderful selection of awesome cards! Thank you for sharing.
Carolee

Kim said...

Your little Chelsie is so precious!! I think this page turned out great!!

Kris Sobolik said...

Great projects, I love them all.